"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sometimes, Candy.

Zack and I sat down to watch Eddie Izzard's Dress to Kill last night, and in lieu of having popcorn or candy or cracker jacks any other fun and happy theater-type munchies, I decided to go into my pantry and put to good use a few ingredients I just happened to have laying around after Easter and my Nana's cleaning out of her baking goods. Because sometimes, you just need candy.

 Oh my goodness, isn't it gorgeous? A chewy layer of marshmallow caramel goo, enveloping slightly salty peanuts, slathered in dark chocolate and, uh, rainbow nonpareils - of course!



Who wouldn't want a jar of this stuff on their shelf? YUM. The flavor is somewhere between buttery popcorny chocolatey Poppycock, and caramelly peanut brittle. Yum. yum. yum.

Sometimes Candy
Ingredients:
  • 1 10.5 oz Bag Marshmallows
  • 1/2 Stick Salted Butter
  • 10-15 Chewy Caramels (unwrapped)
  • 1+ Cups of Shelled Peanuts
  • 14oz Dark Chocolate
  • Nonpareils (or other happy sprinkles)
Special Equipment:
  • Parchment Paper or Silpat

Directions:

Over med-low heat, melt together the marshmallows, butter and caramels until well combined and smooth enough. Spread out on parchment or silpat in a vaguely rectangular shape, making sure it's about 1/3" thick. I used a rolling pin on mine, as it's buttery enough to not stick to the rolling pin, and made sure it was evenly flat all the way across.

Melt chocolate in a microwave, or in a double boiler. Spoon out over the marshmallow mixture and spread evenly to coat. Sprinkle happy nonpareils on top!! Let cool completely before cutting into bite-sized bits with a large knife.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Almost too pretty to eat, but this wouldn't last long on my kitchen shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am craving some of this. Hmmm..... rather than make some I shall look at your non-calorie filled photos.

    ReplyDelete