"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Reading: Update

Needless to say, what with the move and everything going on, I haven't been getting a lot of reading done, and I did not start, nor finish, Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Instead, I wound up picking up a copy of Gregory Maguire's Mirror Mirror while I was at a consignment sale last month. I own Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and I thought it was fantastic, so I knew I'd like this, and I do. I'm a huge, huge sucker for retellings of classic fairy tales, and this is no different. Dark, unique, clever, and somehow wrapped around the Borgias, which is a wild twist. Though (for me) it seemed to take a little bit of time to really pick up speed and intrigue, I loved it anyway.

  • April 13th,  Mirror Mirror, Gregory Maguire
  • February 8th, The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood. 
  • January 26th, Plot, Ansen Dibell.
  • January 24th, The Knot's Guide to Wedding Vows and Traditions, Carley Roney.
  • January 22nd, Of Bees and Mist, Erick Setaiwan.
  • January 19th, Eat Pray Love, Elizabeth Gilbert (read twice, back to back.)
Not sure what's up next, but now that I have my WHOLE LIBRARY unpacked and in my living room, it's bound to be something good, and soon.

    1 comment:

    1. I went and got "Mirror Mirror" from the library to read this weekend and I liked it too :). Though I had a nearly physical click of insight when she was on the bridge and heard footsteps in the mist and I knew exactly what had happened to that child.

      ReplyDelete