"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Sunday, April 17, 2011

The New Gnome Nest

(Gnew gnome gnest? Say that ten times fast.)

I spent about five hours today over at my friend Amy's house with my crafty brain on fire because I have just recently started working on a seasons/nature table for myself and Ro, and I wanted, more than anything else in the world, to put a gnome house on it. You know, so the gnomes and fairies could live there, and we could decorate the house for the different holidays and just... see how it went.


Truthfully, I really wanted this one from Magic Cabin, but how could I ever justify the price? It's beautiful, but so far out of my budget. What is in my budget? Erm... a $4 box of one thousand popsicle sticks. Luckily, I had just read this post over at Almost Unschoolers about building a doll house out of balsa and popsicle sticks. Now I was thinking!

Luckily, I'm friends with Amy, who is a downright hoarder when it comes to craft supplies. (And thank god!) I told her what I was up to, and then showed up at her house to discover a table full of slices of old logs, bird's nests, birch bark, and plenty more.

After five hours of Dremeling, hot-gluing, X-acto-ing, scissoring, burning myself, cussing, laughing, and genius, this is what I wound up with:





 Three gnomes and two mice have moved in, along with their two spools, their warm red rug, and the robin's egg they've been sworn to keep safe! I'll take better photos in the daylight, (I promise,) once there's flowers in the window boxes and a better sense of springtime all around. No worries about the gnomes, though, they feel right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment