"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Just a Quick One 'Cause I Can't Sleep

After not being "active" on Twitter for what feels like a hundred years, I just opened it up and noticed that my new coworker at KFP, Kiki Lightbourne, threw out this awesome tweet while we were handing out totebags together at the Kids Fun Summer Expo last Saturday:

"Don't know how I forgot to tell you all that I met and got to stuff tote bags with one of my fave mommy bloggers! If you haven't checked out The Craning Gap blog, you def should!  Check out all of our @KidsFunPlaza mommy blogs!!"

Right on, Kiki! You're great.

*Photo by Ro, of her own feet in her teeny (muddy) Chucks.

Also? While typing the word "taxi" elsewhere earlier, I realized I had no idea what the etymology of that word was. Thanks to Wikipedia, I now do. And holy hell is it complex:

"Harry Nathaniel Allen of The New York Taxicab Co., who imported the first 600 gas-powered New York taxicabs from France, coined the word "taxicab" as a contraction of "taximeter cabriolet". "Taximeter" is an adaptation of the French word taximètre, which is a derivation of the German word taxameter, coined from Medieval Latin taxa, which means tax/charge, together with meter from the Greek metron (μέτρον) meaning measure.[1] A "cabriolet" is a type of horse-drawn carriage."

1 comment: