"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Friday, April 29, 2011

365: #005 My Summer Purse

I love this stupid tote bag. I bought it at Walmart in 2008 because my purse wasn't large enough for diapers and a change of clothes for Ro on the plane during a New York visit. I've been using it ever since, which is a lot of mileage for a Walmart find! But I love the unexpected clash of yellows and greens in it, perfect for spring and summer. But of course, as with most cheap things, it was cheaply made, and the lining, a horrendously thin nylon, eventually began to fall apart. I tore it out with the intention of using it as a pattern to make a new lining with- and then took a year to get around to it! Inspired by a Petunia Picklebottom bag belonging to Irene from The Crafting Hobbit, I decided to embroider one small section of the graphic print, and then finally, finally got around to getting that darn lining put inside- just in time for the warm weather to hit!


It turned out to be more work than I thought it would!


I asked Ro to help me with the "before" - it had been wadded up in my sewing basket for months, so it's a bit wrinkly.

First part of the embroidery- Peace Fleece in Chickie Masla.

The second part- some yellow crewel wool that I dyed with indigo last year over at a friend's house to turn out this pretty deep sea-glass color.

Perfect!

Time to cut the lining for the main compartment and three pockets... I chose this obnoxious green stripe to echo the designs from the exterior canvas.

Sew 'em up...

...and box the corners, of course!

Realizing I didn't have quite enough obnoxious green stripe to do the inside zipper pocket, too- I grabbed some of this lime green IKEA hippo fabric from my stash.

Zipper and pocket set in- totally NOT my proudest zipper ever- but my zipper foot was completely missing.

Take a break to make an impromptu necklace for your kid out of the beads and floss you don't plan to use after all...

Pin the lining in...

Queue up all that Glee you missed...

HANDSEW, GO.

Two hours later, that wasn't so hard, was it? Purse content swap time!

Don't forget the matching wallet!

No comments:

Post a Comment