"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Finally.

It's that time again.

 "When you're moving your whole world becomes boxes. That's all you think about is
boxes. Boxes, where are there boxes? You just wander down the street going in and out
of stores. 'Are there boxes here? Have you seen any boxes?' I mean it's all you think
about. You can't even talk to people because you can't concentrate. 'Shut up, I'm looking
for boxes!' Just after a while you become like really into it- you can smell them. You walk
into a store. 'There's boxes here. Don't tell me you don't have boxes. Dammit, I can
SMELL them.' I'm like I'm obsessed. I love the smell of cardboard in the morning. You
could be at a funeral. Everyone's mourning, crying around, and you're looking at the
casket. 'That's a nice box. Does anyone know where that guy got that box? When he's
done with it do you think I could get that? It's got some nice handles on it.' And that's
what death is really. It's the last big move of your life. The hearse is like the van. The
pallbearers are your close friends- the only ones you could ask to help you with a big
move like that. And the casket is that great, perfect box you've been waiting for your
whole life. The only problem is, once you find it you're in it."
-Jerry Seinfeld 

Finally, after two of what have felt like the longest years in my ever, we finally have a date. Zack and I both have jobs, and we have a date. For what. For moving out. We've started shuffling portions of paychecks into savings and we're looking at being in our own place on April 1st.

This is where the panic sets in. That's only one month away! I've barely started packing (not that there's as much to pack here, at Mom's, as there was, say, when we came out here from Arizona.) Here we only take up one bedroom, all three of us. But we also have spores, if you will, taking up space all over the rest of the house. Our TV is upstairs in Mom's bedroom. Our toiletries and towels are in the bathroom. We have a few dishes, a few appliances, a few foodstuffs in the kitchen. Ro has a playhouse in the back yard, sidewalk chalk in the back hallway, bottles of bubbles all around. All her toys are in the playroom.

In fact, I think packing to move out of someone else's space might be harder than packing to move out of your own. In that case, everything goes. In this case? Shoot, was that yours, or mine? Whose spoon is this? Who bought this jar of turmeric? (Well, I suppose I do know the answer to that one.)

I even have stuff in houses that aren't this house! Nana and Papa are currently in possession of Roary's daybed, two dressers, a deep freezer and maybe even a washer and dryer, not to mention a set of patio furniture that, depending on where we move to, we may or may not have space for. Keeping track of all this stuff is something only a woman with a big fat corpus callosum can do. It's a subliminal form of multitasking- knowing where all your belongings are, right this second.

I busy myself with thoughts of things we need, changes we have to make, things I won't stand for in the new place (though this never goes over well.) Things we're going to have to make do with. Things we can't make do with. For example- no more vinyl shower curtain liners. We all need sheets and mattress pads for our beds. We're going to get into the habit of freezing all our leftovers, just like Nana does. No soda in the house unless it was expensive and fancy and I'll feel like a movie star in France while drinking it. (Such a bad habit!)

Every new house is an opportunity for a fresh start, in my opinion. A blank slate. You don't have to take anything over the threshold that you don't want to. Belongings, habits, or otherwise. And believe me. I won't.

3 comments:

  1. Having just moved myself, I feel your pain and I can relate to what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, I am so happy for you and your family. I know it can be a nerve wracking time, but the place for just the three of you will be so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful news!!
    Where are you going??

    ReplyDelete