"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Baking and Schooling





The world has been cold, and snowy. Nothing to do but hunker down around the kitchen table, and spend time perfecting my yeast breads, drinking French press, and helping Ro with advanced mathematics.

(It's not my fault! My mother got her this Disney Princess math book, and she took to it like candy. She insisted on doing the Cinderella page, and when I said, "There is no way you can add seven to thirteen, you're four," we got out the abacus and she did it anyway.)

When I'm feeling less matriculated, we cut things out of magazines and sort them by color into a composition book. Far more appropriate for a preschooler, n'est pas? I still have a notebook from when I was in Kindergarten where we did the same thing. I thought it would be a fun project for her.

(Side note: if you look on the right hand side of the abacus photo, you can see where I very OCD-ly organized her box of 64 Crayola crayons by color. I mean, they look like this when you open them! I can't stand that! Though they do smell just as delicious, no matter what order they're in.)

1 comment:

  1. I have a monster stack of old magazines. I am going to use them over February break. Love the idea of cutting and sorting into colors (sounds for my older son). This will be a perfect project for both of my boys. The big kid can help me to teach the little guy scissor techniques.

    ReplyDelete