"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Monday, January 17, 2011

Knitting? Seriously?


I can't even begin to tell you how long I've been putting off learning to knit. My Nana knits, my Grandma knits, all my friends knit. Me? No. I mean- I did learn twice, from two different people, but somehow I was getting it wrong. I finally sat down with Julie a week ago and she showed me again- my third teacher!- but you know what they say about the third time, right? She even taught me to purl- I hadn't even gotten that far yet the first two times. I came home immediately, grabbed my old bamboo needles and some old black cotton crochet yarn I had kicking around and immediately set to work practicing.

I practiced over and over and over, double-checked with some YouTube videos (I love the ones by Wool and the Gang!) and finally felt confident enough to start a real project. I bought some fat needles (sz 13) and some fat yarn (working up at about 3 st/in) because I really wanted to be able to SEE what I was doing, and the next thing I knew- I was knitting! I mean like, really knitting something!


It's lovely! It was supposed to be a scarf, but it's so heavy and thick I might just work in some button holes and buttons and make it a neck-warmer instead of a full scarf. It's Lion Brand Hometown USA in Portland Wine. So pretty, a deep violet with subtly brighter wine tones streaking through it. I'm not using a pattern, just winging it- it's 30 st wide, with a 4 st border of Seed Stitch around the whole thing- even the bottom. It's turning out amazingly for my first attempt, I'm really proud of myself. Yay me!

1 comment:

  1. That looks fabulous. The first thing I was going to say is you not only knit, you also purl! Are you on Ravelry? Let me know if you are. If not, it's a great place to look for patterns and fun knitting and crocheting projects. I have been knitting up a storm in my spare (LOL) time. Working on a baby blanket on monster 13 circular needles. This after doing a few scarves for people.

    ReplyDelete