"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Monday, November 8, 2010

Pumpkin Butter


Beth from The Angel Forever asked for the recipe from yesterday's photos, and honestly, I have no idea what I did, so this is going to take some thinking, but I should be able to figure it out. Honestly, most of my cooking is fly by the seat of my pants, I don't do an awful lot of recipe-following unless it's for baking- there's actually science involved, there. So, that being said, here's what (I think) I did:

Ingredients:
  • 1 large-ish Sugar (or "Pie") Pumpkin (about 5 lbs?)
  • 1/2 C Maple Syrup
  • 1/2 C Brown Sugar
  • 1T Pie Spice + 1t Cinnamon
  • 4 C Water
Sever and gut the pumpkin. Slice into wedges, use a paring knife to remove the stringy lining from the cavity and peel dark skin off with a vegetable peeler. Chop wedges into large chunks and dump them all into the slow cooker. (If your slow cooker is small, sized for 2-4 people, you'll want to do this in 2 batches.)

Add sweeteners, water and spices. Allow to cook on low for 12-16 hours. We actually wound up putting our lid slightly ajar for a few hours, allowing the moisture to cook off so it could thicken.

Once mixture is good and thick (no thin water pools up when you stir it) use an immersion blender, blender, or food processor, to puree out all the lumps.

You know me, I collect glass jars with lids like someone's creepy great-aunt, so in order to fill them I placed a metal table knife inside each one, blade up, and filled them slowly with a funnel, about 1" from the top. The reason for doing this is that metal conducts heat faster than glass, and it will prevent the glass from cracking and the jars from exploding when boiling liquid is poured inside. (Congratulations! You just learned a canning trick!)

Let them cool to 'just warm' before putting the lids on them, and then come to room temperature before putting them in the freezer, where they'll keep for pretty much ever.

...Alright probably not that long. But you'll want to eat it all immediately anyway, who are we kidding? I hope you have a coupon for canned biscuits!

2 comments:

  1. You rock! Thank you so much. Now to convince TechyDad to attempt making this :)

    ReplyDelete