"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Friday, November 12, 2010

Popcorn!!!

 So Nana brings an ear of corn up and says, "Here's some popping corn, why don't you pop it!" and I'm staring blankly, because while I understand popcorn in theory, I've never made any that wasn't in a Jiffy pan or Orville Redenbacher bag. So here I am, prying popping corn kernels off of a cob with my thumbs and finding it surprisingly cathartic!

They're like beautiful little amber beads, aren't they? I love them.


You measure a half of a cup of kernels into a paper lunch sack (that's about all that was on one ear, so it worked out perfectly,) and you put them into the microwave for about 3 minutes, or until there are 2-3 seconds between pops. Don't burn it! This stuff is precious goods.

LOOK! It's like magic!
We drizzled melted butter, kosher salt, and parmesan cheese overtop, and took it to the sofa. Ro was home sick from school, I was sick, and so was my mom, so we all curled up on the sofa to eat popcorn and watch Martha Stewart prepare a brined turkey on her show. (I have to do two turkeys this year, so I need all the help I can get.)



It was perfect! Honestly, all it was missing was a few cups of hot chocolate to drink. We ate the whole bowl up! Thank you for this snack, Nana!

No comments:

Post a Comment