"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Religious Experience



Two months ago, on Roary's 4th birthday, she received these: a letter from her Yo Gabba Gabba pals, letting her know she was invited to a party in her city, encased in an envelope made cleverly into a calendar so that she could count down the days until the party would take place. I admit I may have had something to do with this "letter", but that's neither here nor there.


One month later, we made our way south to Albany with the tickets my mother had procured in hand. At the Times Union Center we converged, along with (it seemed) every other 2-5 year old in the capital district.



We were given little cardboard DJ Lance Rock glasses, which Ro can make look cool any day of the week, and then...

It was them.
It was HIM.

For this child, and frankly, for my mother and I, it might as well have been Jesus. We were there. I mean, we were right there, and DJ Lance Rock was right there and all the Gabba buddies (or at least their foam costumes) were right there and OMG SO WAS BIZ MARKIE. ... It was religion. We had found religion through the eyes of a four year old.


We will never be the same.

2 comments:

  1. ... thank you for leaving out the picture of my tear streaked face. <3
    Oh DJ Lance ... you are "AWESOME"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! YoGabaGaba!!!! Totally awesome :)

    ReplyDelete