"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Autumn Again


I am so excited for this time of year to be here again. I can't exactly explain to you what it's like, for me, to see that first hint of color on the trees or smell that edge to the air as it chases the last warm breezes of summer in. This is my second autumn here since we moved back from Arizona and, just like when I was a child, it never gets old.

We kicked off our autumn by taking Ro to the local Harvest Festival at Riverview Orchards in Rexford. She watched bees making honey, played carnival games, got to see the machine that makes cider donuts, and even took her first pony ride



She didn't quite understand what all those bees were doing under the glass. Honey is, I suppose, a pretty complicated process for a 4-year-old to grasp.


 Is there anything more autumnal than bittersweet? They're like miniature pumpkins.


Halloween is rapidly approaching, and I'm going to try and get back to my desire for simplicity again this year and try and do some Samhain activities with Ro. Already she's helped me paint some Dia de los Muertos sugar skulls for the magazine, and they're decorating the windowsill with a couple of scarecrows that Nana brought. It looks very festive!

Still, I read other blogs with longing for that Waldorfy life I wanted but seems to be getting away from me. I like to think my life comes together organically, but that usually results in last-minutes and should-haves.

New job. New school. One thing a a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment